Many lessons learned tonight. Things I knew but needed to see. Things I should of known but went with habit instead of what works. I had one good prospect out of the 7-10 women in the bar. I saw her looking at me, so I said “Hi” very nonchalantly and held her gaze. Her eyes darted away, head turning towards the karaoke screens and remained entirely silent. I shrugged and went back to my beer.
Yeah, that was the best chance I had tonight.
What I knew:
- Going solo is hard. That’s obvious, since people go out in groups usually. Finding a decent single woman at a bar without anyone is like finding a Dodger fan with real hope.
What I learned:
- Don’t go to a British pub on Cinco de Mayo. That should have been obvious, but habit told me to go for it. Things is about pubs is they’re usually sausagefests, which is great for a drink and watching the game, but I was looking for chicks. The 3rd Street Promenade wasn’t the best choice either, three-quarters of the places were closed when I got there. It was pretty deserted.
- Don’t belly up to the bar next to the one guy who can’t shut the fuck up. Every time the Angels hot tub showed up during game coverage he would stand and point, trying to get a bartender to look. One of the bartenders actually included me in the conversation to get him off his back.
- Piss before engaging. If she’d actually started talking to me, I would have had to break it off early on to head for the bathroom. Luckily, she rejected me and saved my bladder from learning yoga.
- I can read situations well. As soon as the prospect and her friend sat at the bar, I could tell the posh looking brunette was pushy and probably attached. My blond was, at the very least, the follower. She looked out of her element, slightly bored and was indecisive about picking a karaoke song. Her friend kept pushing until the brunette’s boyfriend/fucktoy/hair gel salesman showed up. This was when I realized that even if I reengaged, I had no chance. He engaging both of them quite well. Any interjection would seem creepy and unwarranted. After I came back from the bathroom, the blonde’s boyfriend or The Situation clone’s friend was right next to her, axing any chance that wouldn’t result in conflict. And I’m not ready for that just yet.
- Find someplace in the San Bernardino Valley. All that driving for horrible odds is a total waste of money. I’ll hit the beach bars when I move closer to it.
I did get to see a bouncer beat the shit out of a drunk kid trying to get in to a live music club right next to Parking Structure 5. It was great to watch the party guys look scared and completely confused about what to do. One guy even wanted to take the drunk kid’s side until he saw the bouncer win, then apologized profusely for whatever reason. I just leaned on the lamp post and smoked. The Santa Monica PD showed up really fast, probably called beforehand when the kid wouldn’t leave.
All and all, a good night. I approached, I remained cool and I saw what I did wrong. Baby steps.